Today, Jillian Bremer is here to show us her three-step tutorial for making your own DIY bun pin from a pretty vintage brooch. It’s the perfect new-to-you accessory for spring!
Add spark to your top knot with an easy DIY project using a vintage brooch! The best part about this project is that the vintage brooch will not be altered or damaged—it can easily be removed from the comb using wire cutters if you change your mind down the road. Read on for the tutorial to make your own!
DIY Bun Pin
- Wire cutters
- 26 gauge wire
- 3-inch long hair combs (it’s best to pick a color that matches your hair, so that it blends in)
- Your favorite vintage brooch (or shop for brooches at Sweet & Spark!)
- Lay the top of the pin against the top side of the comb. Thread the wire up and over the pin of the brooch, around the wide piece of the comb and through each bristle of the comb.
- Continue threading like this all the way down the length of the pin, making sure to pull and tighten each loop as you go.
- Finish by doubling the wire back to where you started and then knot the two ends together. Thread the loose ends back through, clip off any loose wire and tuck the sharp edges in.